Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Stacy Died

Stacy was the wonderful young mother of two small girls and as warm, caring, and upbeat a person as I've ever known. She was struck down today by myeloma.

I feel so damn ANGRY at this disease. So helpless. I hate it! My own ride with myeloma has been easy by comparison, but now I've personally known thirteen people, shaken their hands and spoken face-to-face, people like Stacy, who have gone down before this merciless killer. All of them died too early, and Stacy's death is a particular tragedy.

Some people say that new treatments for myeloma might eventually turn it from a uniformly fatal disease into a chronic one. That's a great goal, but we're not there yet, not when a young wife and mother of two cannot be saved by the best medical care on earth. There is a lot of work to do.

Stacy, we love you and we commend you to the hands of God. We will most certainly miss you here.

Stacy, second from left, with her mother and two daughters:

4 comments:

  1. I remember reading about a request for donors for possible allogenic STC for Stacy and I wish, wish, wish I was younger. This disease makes me furious, too. It is totally unreasonable that these young people are getting MM - why? Sometimes being a cheerleader when the players are being sidelined and taken out is too hard to bear....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don, I agree with every word you said. Thank you for saying what I seemed unable to do.

    Let us hope that there is some bigger picture that finds Stacy in a much better, happier place.

    Wishing peace to her family in this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don: I join you in the deep sadness at the news of Stacy's passing. My heart breaks for her children and her parents. I also echo your anger at this maddening disease. Farewell, Stacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don, What you wrote about Stacy was just what I was feeling. I loved that girl like a granddaughter.I am also ANGRY because I feel that they are not in a hurry to get a cure for cancer because they make so much money on the drugs---why hurry? God, I hope I am wrong about that. I am so happy that you are doing so well. Marilyn Smith

    ReplyDelete