Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Dex and Blood Sugar, Part 2

Well, this experiment is complete, or as nearly so as it will get. I took blood glucose measurements on three days: (1) Saturday, after taking 40 mg of dexamethasone Friday at bedtime; (2) Sunday, the next day, and (3) Wednesday, the fifth day. Here are average blood glucose measurements for the three days:
Sat:   144.3 mg/dL
Sun:   101.2 mg/dL
Wed:   88.2 mg/dL

Bottom line: Assuming that Wednesday's measurements were "normal," then Sunday's were at least 10 points higher than normal and Saturday's were more than 50 points higher! This is "low-dose" dex - it's no wonder that high-dose dex gives people the symptoms of diabetes and sometimes even gives them the real thing.

Here is a TABLE showing actual measurements and times. It also has links to photos of the meals that were eaten.

Below is a chart of the same thing. Click to enlarge.
Blood Glucose Chart

2 comments:

  1. Hi Don,
    very interesting! But how many little holes do you have in your fingers by now? I'm afraid I would be too scared to do that (I faint as soon as I smell blood).

    Have a wonderful day :-)
    Sherlock

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Don,

    I had the same trouble (but was on high dose dex). I found that frequent brisk walks throughout the day helped lower my blood sugar. Had it been consistently over 200, I would have had to take medication for it.

    During my time on dex, I saw an endocrinologist, who kept tabs on my blood sugar and other stuff.

    I'm SO glad to be off dex!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete